Thursday 27 September 2012

Gone too soon...

The editors are fast throwing away all the goodwill they earned from me last time.  At this point, I am praying for Kalabaw to go to Tribal Council just so that we can get to hear from somebody who isn't Jeff or Jonathan, and I am praying for Lisa, Jeff, or one of the returners to get voted off, in the hopes that the promos might remember there are twelve other people out there.

Well, eleven now.  And I suppose I should point out that I use pray in its metaphorical sense there, because I feel a bit presumptuous asking an omnipotent being to influence the outcome of a gameshow.  I'm really not a praying person in general, but I am interested in how people draw from their religion, and it's something I have no objection to watching.  Before the game started, I said I was most interested in watching Roxy, because I thought an army chaplain (in training) could have such a big influence on their tribe.  Perhaps an older, more experienced one would have done.  In that respect, Roxy disappointed.

That did not stop my husband and myself having our own little 'Save Roxy' party tonight, when she started rolling her eyes and calling Angie out at Tribal Council.  I'm sure Jeff would have joined us; you could tell he'd rather have a disciple of Eliza Orlins rather than the girl he didn't want to cast in the first place.  I think the tribe probably made the right decision, but I would have loved to have seen more Roxy.  A great shame that she was one of the victims of the traditional first week breakdown--I think had she had a few more days, she'd have moved past it as so many players do.

In my pre-game assessment, I said of Roxy:
Roxy herself seems to be there more for a personal journey than to win, inspired by Redemption Island's Matt rather than South Pacific's Upolu, so I'm not sure she's got the gameplay she'll need, although she is at least a fan.
In all that cold and rain, I think she got a personal journey, and I expect her Survivor experience will help her in her future work, even though we didn't get to see a vice versa effect.  Beyond that, I'd say she did have a fair amount of gameplay to her... she just started far too late.

Full breakdown on Sunday evening again!  If you look at the tabs below the title of the blog, you'll notice that there is now a "Philippines Analysis" page.  This takes you to all the posts tagged with Philippines, i.e. the 'index' entries of my main episode analyses and my pre-game assessment.  I'm hoping that will be a more easily navigable archive as we progress through the season.  Unfortunately, Blogger's little archive gadget seen at right doesn't have a filter by tag option, so it's still going to be an imperfect set-up.

This quite possibly bothers absolutely nobody but myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment